Strong & affordable

Traditional braces have been around for a long time, and they’re probably the most recognizable symbol of orthodontics around Holly Springs.

They’re great at correcting many oral issues, and Dr. McGrogan has used these orthodontic workhorses to see a long history of successful treatment.

What are braces made of?


The brackets Dr. McGrogan uses are durable and made from a mix of stainless steel, nickel, and other metals.

Brackets have little hooks or doors where a wire is threaded. A bracket can be secured by closing the door, or by placing an elastic over the top of the wire.

Fuquay-Varina Braces


This is what Dr. McGrogan will use to attach the brackets to your teeth. It’s common to attach the bracket directly to the tooth with glue.


If you need bite correction, elastics are essential. They are generally strung between an upper bracket hook and a lower bracket hook. This will pull the upper jaw backward to correct an overbite, or the lower jaw back to correct an underbite.

Dr. McGrogan may use rubber bands for many different situations, especially when we want to put extra pressure on the teeth or jaws.


This thin piece of metal runs from one bracket to another. Dr. McGrogan will change the shape and curvature of the wire to move your teeth in the right direction.

The wire will attach all of your bottom or upper teeth together in many cases, but we might occasionally cut the wire if connecting just a few teeth is better for your treatment plan.

Orthodontic bands

These are stainless steel rings that are cemented to your teeth using dental bonding agents.

These bands can provide an anchor for your braces and orthodontic appliances, but they are not used for everyone. Dr. McGrogan will determine your exact needs at your initial consultation.

Elastic ties/ligatures/o-rings/colors

These tiny rubber rings or bands are used to attach the archwire to the brackets.

They're less rigid than spacers and come in dozens of colors.


Dr. McGrogan can use these small elastic “donuts” or rings to create space in between your teeth when needed, typically before bands are placed. They are also referred to as separators.

FAQs about braces in Holly Springs